AHEC Scholars is a nationally recognized certificate program for health professions students interested in supplementing their education by gaining additional knowledge and experience in rural and/or underserved settings. The program emphasizes a team-based approach for healthcare and focuses on strengthening the healthcare workforce.
AHEC Scholars is a two-year program with interdisciplinary curricula to implement a defined set of clinical, didactic, and community-based activities. Each of the two years includes the following for a total of 160 hours:
- 40 hours/year community-based, experiential, or clinical training in rural and/or underserved area
- 40 hours/year interprofessional education focused on the six Core Topic Areas below (may be continuing education modules or college credit)
The requirements should complement your existing coursework.
Core Topic Areas
The AHEC Scholars Program Will Help You
- Earn recognition as a student leader in the health community
- Inspire and improve health status and outcomes through your improved command of leadership
- Be better positioned to join or lead a diverse and culturally competent health workforce
- Gain practical skills and experience in practice transformation collaboration in underserved settings in North Dakota
- Gain practical didactic/civic engagement opportunities
- Enhance your resume
- Meet leaders in healthcare and interact with healthcare professionals creating an invaluable network for your future career
Students should have a current interest in rural or underserved healthcare; be currently enrolled in a health professions degree or certificate program; and be two years from program or degree completion. This includes but is not limited to students in medical, dental, pharmacy, nurse practitioner, nursing, physician assistant, social work, physical therapy, occupational therapy, and public/population health programs. For a list of approved didactic courses please email Brittany.
How to Apply
To apply for the AHEC Scholars program, complete the online application.